Maximum data speed in a LAN depends on the type of technology you are using. For example, if you deploy the 10GbE in the LAN, you can expect data speed up to 10,000 megabytes per second. In case of power over Ethernet’s latest versions, you can get up to 100 Gbps. But it is only possible if your access to bandwidth and performance is quite comfortable.
Nowadays, internet technology has progressed a lot. Do you know why? It is because of increased internet connection requirements and network performance. When we land at the speed of the switches or networks, we consider many factors. This guide will explore multiple factors contributing to the maximum speed of LAN and playing a crucial role in maintenance.
Suggested Reading: What Is the Difference Between LAN and PoE?
What is LAN? And How does it work?
LAN or local area network refers to the number of devices connected to the network and driving data from the switches in the local area. Unlike Wide area networks, LANs have some distance limitations. For example, if you implement the LAN in your office, it would limit its distance in the office. That’s why all the networks in the buildings, schools, and other such places are LAN.
A LAN might comprise:
- Ethernet cable
Today, we are moving forward to virtualization and expanding our networks widely. So, you can observe the extended virtual networks with a few hardware devices!
Now, the question is — how does LAN work?
Here is how you build a data connection:
- Employ Ethernet switches or wifi for wireless access points.
- Link your devices with the switch or wifi.
- Deploy the routers to improve the network performance and monitor the traffic.
Depending on your technology, you will get the data speed from your LAN. Such networks are available in buildings, offices, schools, medical centers, etc.
Three ways to measure the speed of the LAN
Do you want to measure the data speed of your LAN network? Remember. The theoretical and practical maximum speeds of the internet connection are pretty different. It is because of several factors that decrease the network’s full speed.
However, we will measure the actual speed of the LAN network here. Three methods are as follows:
LAN Speed Test
A LAN speed test is a software program that will run on your computer and check the maximum speed of your network.
Here is how you can check speed with this tool.
- Create a shared folder on your computer. Copy a file from your computer and paste it into the shared folder. You can do the opposite to ensure your computer works fine and can read and write the files.
- Download the software LAN speed test from Google and run it to move ahead with your speed test.
- In the LAN speed test tool, you can choose the Select Button. Choose the shared folder on your computer and click Start Test.
- Specify the size of the file you want to transfer. If it is 1 gigabyte, start the test.
- After the test ends, you will get all the details with the time taken for the file transfer.
With this tool, you can get your test report and check it later. Moreover, it helps determine the maximum speed of the LAN network to help you understand how fast you can transfer your file.
Like the LAN speed test, Net Stress is a software program that helps diagnose the speed. You can follow the procedure below to know your local network’s maximum speed.
- To use this test, you have to choose two computers and download the Net Stress software on both computers.
- You must locate the Net Stress Application file and run it as the Administrator to complete the installation process.
- Do the same process on your second computer to install the program successfully and establish a firewall exception.
- Locate the option”Remote Receiver IP” and click on it to get the IP address of the second computer and connect both devices simultaneously.
- You can go to Settings and choose the units for your results. If you want it in Kbps or Mbps, choose as per your requirement. The bigger the measuring unit, the easier it will be to determine the speed.
- Go to Settings again and find the TCP and UDP Settings. In the menu, you can choose the Segment size and set the number of TCP and UDP transmissions to include in the test.
- Click Start to begin the testing process. You will get the maximum speed of your LAN with this process.
Later, you can exit both computers and know the upper limit of your LAN speed.
Net Meter is another efficient tool that helps determine the maximum speed of your LAN network.
Similar to the above methods, you can get at it as:
- Go to Google, Download the Net meter from a trusted website, and run the program on your computer.
- Check out the Net meter speed graph to ensure what it is showing. When you are not using the data, it will display zero speed. However, to analyze the speed, you can transfer, download, and play video games to check out the speed every moment. You can get all the data related to your LAN speed.
- You can customize the speed graph in the graph setting to adjust the color and other options. You can exit the tool once your job is done successfully.
The whole process is simple and effective. Go ahead with your speed test right away!
4 Technologies to determine the speed of the LAN
We consider several technologies that could help determine the maximum speed of the Ethernet connection. For example, if you have employed Fast Ethernet, you will get 100 Mbps and 1 Gbps with Gigabit Ethernet.
So, your technology plays a vital role to a greater extent. Let’s have the four fundamental technologies.
Have you heard of Fast Ethernet before? Before 1996, we had to rely on Fast Ethernet. In other words, it was the first Ethernet Standard to provide users with data speed.
So, what is the maximum speed of Fast Ethernet?
No surprises. You can get a maximum speed of 100 Mbps. Usually, Fast Ethernet switches have a symbol of 10/100 Mbps data speed which is a range of speed.
So, how will it determine the speed of the LAN?
It is pretty simple for a home network. If you have installed the Fast Ethernet switch, you will expect the upper limit of data speed to be 100 Mbps, and the lowest limit will be 1 Mbps. Depending on megabits per second speed, we can understand the maximum speed of your LAN.
In Gigabit Ethernet, we have the lower threshold of 1 Mbps, and the maximum data speed will be in gigabytes.
Usually, we have:
- 1 Gigabit Ethernet
- 10 Gigabit Ethernet
1 Gigabit Ethernet can provide a maximum speed of 1000 Mbps or 1 Gbps. In the case of 10 Gigabit Ethernet, you will observe the maximum speed of your data is 10 Gigabytes per second. However, depending on your Gigabit technology, you can explore 25 Gbps, 40 Gbps, 100 Gbps, and more.
So, a LAN comprising the 10 GbE switch will have a maximum speed of around 10,000 megabytes per second. A similar concept goes for other Gigabit Ethernet versions. Thus, you can have a rough estimate of maximum data speed.
Power over Ethernet is a technology that provides data speed and power over a single Ethernet port. It has different standards introduced by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
Here are IEEE standards.
PoE network maximum power and speed depend on these standards. If you use the IEEE 802.3bt, you will get the full power of 100 watts, while the low power applies to the other methods. So, you can also get an idea of the data speed and maximum power through the PoE standard.
Network speed varies in the power over Ethernet. It depends on the type of switch you employ for your PoE technology. For example, if you use the Fast PoE switch, the maximum speed will be around 100 Mbps. Similarly, you can get 100 Gbps data speed with the PoE switch.
However, to build the PoE network, you can get your devices and link them with the switches with the Ethernet ports.
Now, the question is — how do you determine the PoE switch speed?
You can get the information from the above methods. Sometimes, the maximum data speed is written itself. If it is not registered, you can apply the above techniques.
Suggested Reading: What is PoE?
Unlike the PoE or Ethernet system, Wi-Fi or wireless access points don’t employ wires. You can get an idea from the wifi system as well.
If they have the standard 802.11a, the maximum speed will be around 54 Mbps. Similarly, the speed will be higher for other principles.
The standard 802.11n provides a maximum speed of 450 Mbps. Especially on the wifi devices, you can observe the maximum rate per second. In homes with small networks, the service providers offer a low speed compared to high networks in offices. Depending on your requirements, you can install the system and overcome internet issues efficiently.
The latest wifi standards offer a maximum speed of up to 750 Mbps near Gigabit Ethernet.
Do you want to establish the LAN network in your location? Before implementing the technology, purchase the essential tools, such as routers and increase your network’s bandwidth to achieve higher support and minimize the latency of your network.
Do you want to buy all such equipment for your LAN? Contact HoweVision Professional. We have all the crucial tools for your LAN maximum speed. From Fast Ethernet to Gigabit Ethernet, you get all on this platform. Hit us a message or call us to get a quote for your project.